This project is a logo design for the start-up company ‘Vivant’. The stripes in the logo represent the technology behind the app which is for vision testing of non-verbal humans/animals.
Starting off the project, we were given a brief in class that described the company and the product we had to design the logo for. In the brief, Vifant was described as a smartphone app developed to help doctors diagnose vision disabilities in infants and other non-verbal humans/animals. The app is built on the existing technology behind this diagnostic which is basically a lot of lines that move and that the patient’s eyes would then follow. This is however made for iPad and other portable devices so that parents can do it at home as well as at the doctor’s.
Thus, keywords like vision, pattern, stripes, technology came up and I started sketching how this could be illustrated. Above is some of the sketches I made after a plenum discussion held in class. The main element in the sketches is the stripes/lines which I initially and throughout the project was drawn to.
Logo design for the start-up company Vifant was developed for the client Penn Center for Innovation in the Spring semester of 2015 at the University of Pennsylvania School of Design. The design is created in Adobe Illustrator by me, but has been inspired by some conceptual suggestions from fellow students in the class.
… – …
Moving further in the process, I decided to start visualizing the logo in a digital format. I chose to work in Adobe Illustrator for this part. This work process was focused on visualizing what had been done with pencil in a digital format. The above iterations show that I still was drawn to the lines/stripes and that I liked just displaying the ‘V’ instead of the whole word in the logo.
The next phase of digital iterations was based in the feedback we got from our client from PCI (Penn’s Center for Innovation). They especially liked the single ‘V’, the boxed area and the vertical and dominant black lines. This, they thought, really captured the technology behind the app. Thus, I moved on designing with this feedback in mind. The above iterations show how I explored the different ways of portraying a V in the logo.
After working on with the digital iterations of the design, we had our last meeting with the client. To meet the client’s needs, I refined the logo with the squares, tried out which font went with the logo and created implementation examples in Photoshop. Above is the final version of the logo.